Ward President: Dr Mohsen Nafar
Ward Academic Members: Dr Fatemeh Poorrezagholi, Dr Nooshin Dalili, Dr Shiva Samavat, Dr Fariba Samadian, Dr Ahmad Firouzan
Department of Nephrology, Shahid Labbafinejad Medical Center,
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science.
Boostan 9th St., Pasdaran Av., Tehran, Iran
The Nephrology department of Labbafinejad medical center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical sciences, is one of the major nephrology centers in Iran. Since founded in 1984, we have pursued the goal of providing best medical care for patients. quality training program for under- and post graduate students, and research in kidney disease.
With 6 faculty members dedicated to clinical practice and patient care, research and education, the Division of Nephrology, Transplantation and Hypertension specializes in disorders and diseases of the kidneys, transplantation as well as hypertension disorders.
We provide office and hospital base patient care.
1. The office base services include 12 clinics during a week, both in the morning and afternoon. We have special multidisciplinary clinics for hypertension, chronic kidney disease, and kidney stone disease with board certified nephrologist, clinical pharmacist, and dietitian, with radiology and nuclear medicine department working beside us. In transplant clinics, pre-transplantation evaluation of donors and recipients, and post-transplantation follow up of patients are performing on regular bases. Of more than 5000 transplantation over 35 years, near 2000 are still under close follow up in our center. Along these clinics, glomerular diseases and injection clinics are running under the direct observation of faculty members.
2. The inpatient medical services include:
a) Dialysis: Dialysis ward with 17 beds is involved in management of both acute inpatient and outpatient hemodialysis patients.
b) Peritoneal dialysis patients are managed in our center.
c) General nephrology: We provide diagnosis and treatment of various nephrology diseases including: AKI, CKD, Glomerular diseases, acid-case and electrolyte disorders, nephrology consultation.
d) Procedures: We perform ultrasound guided kidney biopsy (both native and transplanted kidney), ultrasound guide temporary hemodialysis catheters, removal of permanent catheters.
e) ICU nephrology: We provide critical care of patients with AKI in hospital
f) Transplantation: Kidney transplantation started in 1984 in our center, and since then more 5000 successful kidney transplantations have been registered. We perform about 200 kidney transplantation each year, 60% of which from deceased donor.
Ward Educational Program:
a) Fellowship: a 2-year training in nephrology and transplantation program is offered yearly to 3-4 fellows. They rotate through 5 services: general nephrology, critical care, renal transplant, dialysis, hospital consult. Weekly sessions of nephropathology and transplant immunology. The program began in 2006, and more than 25 individuals have completed the course.
b) Residency rotations: Internal medicine residents participate in 2-month rotation during their first and second year of their residency course. They are exposed to the following topics:
- Inpatient evaluation of acute kidney injury
- Electrolyte and acid base disorders
- Care of the End-Stage-Renal-Disease patient
- Chronic kidney disease – treatment and prevention
- Pharmacology – dosing for renal function
- Transplant Nephrology
- Renal replacement modalities for the inpatient (continuous and intermittent)
- Outpatient dialysis (in-center hemodialysis and home therapies; both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis)
- Urine sediment evaluation
c) Clinical pharmacist, cardiology, infectious disease and urology residents participate in 2-month rotation in our department.
d) Immunodeficiency fellowships and toxicology fellowships also attend our rotation.
e) Medical students: We provide a global and holistic approach to renal medicine, in which the student goes to dialysis units, attends outpatient nephrology clinics, sees kidney transplant patients, and visit inpatient nephrology patients in a 4-week rotation during the 3rd or 4th year in medical school.
f) Internship: during this period internal medicine interns spend 2 weeks in nephology rotation.
2) Research: With chronic kidney disease research center attached to our complex, research activities are one of the strong aspects of our department. In our research center, we have the first biobank of glomerular diseases and transplantation.
Educational Slides: ---
Faculty of Nephrology Department
Mohsen Nafar, MD
Head of the Department
Professor of Nephrology
Ahmad Firouzan, MD
Orchid ID: 0000-0001-9311-542
Fatemeh Poorrezagholi, MD
Orchid ID: 0000-0001-7534-830
Fariba Samadian, MD
Orchid ID: 0000-0003-4004-3198
Shiva Samavat, MD
Nooshin Dalili, MD